EPISODE 19 – MONICA GRAVES – ON STARTING YOUR OWN BUSINESS, FUNDRAISING AND SPREADING LIGHT AND LOVE
Today we are talking with Monica Graves, Owner & Designer of glamjulz.
glamjulz is a trendy jewelry brand that provides an instant pop of colourful bling to any outfit. It is fresh, fun and affordable but most of all you can get creative with the designer herself and create your very own pieces.
Monica went from a steady stable sales job at Canada Post to launching her own business as a side hustle. She took the leap into her business full time after six years of juggling her full time job and her love for being creative and designing these one of a kind pieces of jewelry. There were many nights and weekends spent growing the business and after 20 years she is still here, still being creative and still loving her dream. glamjulz is shipped direct to customers all over the world. This everyday luxury jewelry brand has been worn by many famous celebrities such as Fergie, Paris Hilton, and Vivica A Fox just to name a few.
Monica is one of those business owners that when you meet her you just want to spend more time with her. She is so delightful and has such a generous spirit and good energy. She loves to help people in need and through glamjulz has supported so many different charities in fun and creative ways.
Monica is honest and entertaining. I love everything she is doing and how she really believes in giving light and love to people that need it the most. She is super passionate about what she does and genuinely wants to help people in whatever way she can. Monica shares some great stories that have brought her to where she is today. She is probably one of the most positive and generous people that I have ever met.
I am sure you will find more than one or two things to take away from this podcast.
In this episode, Monica and I discuss the following:
- Being raised by progressive, forward thinking parents and having the opportunity to backpack around Europe at a young age
- Discovering and fostering her love for art at a young age
- Starting a retro based t-shirt business as a teenager in the 80’s and recognizing that she could make money doing something she loved
- Participating at shows and learning the “math” of running your own business and sometimes how little you make per hour
- Importance of understanding copyright infringement and how it can impact what you are doing
- How she started creating wall murals
- Why she went back to high school after her first semester of college
- What she loved about working at Canada Post
- Discovering her love for earrings and beads plus how these obsessions began
- How creating unique pieces of jewelry make her feel
- How she decided what to create when she was first started as a maker
- Where she started selling her jewelry
- Why it is important to make changes
- How a good manager can help you make decisions that are in your best interest
- Differences between working for a large organization vs starting your own business
- Challenges of coming up with processes and guidelines to be successful
- The worst type of boss you can have
- The biggest mistake that she continued to make over and over again
- Challenges of running a business of working with retailers, celebrities and managing employees
- Making decisions for your business based on what people tell you is a good strategy vs. recognizing when it is not right for your business
- How she met her favourite celebrity of all time and what happened when they met
- How she branded glamjulz about what she truly loves
- Challenges of juggling business opportunities with family tragedy
- What helps you really put things into perspective
- How ecommerce has changed over time
- Biggest mistake you make when starting an online business
- Importance of sharing, giving light and hope to people
- What it takes to start and run a business overtime
- Recognizing where you can bring joy for others
- Developing the fundraising side of glamjulz and the importance of supporting charities
- Development of The Three Little Wishes Campaign
- Importance of being yourself and recognizing that you are enough
- Why you should put love and light out into the world
- What happens when you find the right person
- Feeling free to be yourself
I loved this conversation with Monica, and I hope you do too!
If you would like more information on Monica, you can visit:
Website – https://glamjulz.com/
Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/glamjulz/