JUST SAY NO, SO YOU ARE READY TO SAY YES
One of the biggest mistakes you can make when you start a business is to say yes to everyone and everything.
- Can you participate at this event? Of course.
- Can you help me sell this product? Yes, definitely.
- Can you donate to this cause? Sure. Would love to.
- Can you offer this to your customers? Ya, I can do that.
- Can you share this info via your social media? Absolutely. Why not?
And, there is the key – why not?
Even though you want to help others or donate to good causes, you have just started your own business and you need to stay focused on what is going to drive your business forward. Some people might think this sounds selfish but in reality, it is something you have to do if you want to keep the doors open.
If you say yes to every opportunity or ask that comes your way you might spend time doing things that don’t make the most sense for your business or you might cause confusion with your customers.
In the past, I have been guilty of both. And, what ends up happening is you become exhausted and experience burn out.
Everyone loves you for saying yes, but saying yes does not always help you achieve your goals and can cause distractions that keep you from getting where you want to be.
I am not saying – just say no to everything but you need to know when it makes sense to even consider saying yes to an opportunity.
When someone asks you for something you need to consider the following:
- Is this a good opportunity for my business?
- How is this going to help me move towards my goals?
- How much time and energy is this going to take?
- Does it make sense for me to put time and energy into this?
- Is this something that is going to impact my customers or audience? If yes, how will it impact them?
The power of saying no leaves you open to say yes to the right opportunity!